Thursday, May 24, 2018

Feeling Better At Another's Expense....

Just over a year ago, I started a new Way of Eating;  in keto-speak we call that WOE.  I was sick and tired of being fat, and I was feeling physically worse as I watched age 60 come and go.  On May 1, 2017...I finally decided to go to a hospital-based clinic program to lose weight and get healthier.  I lasted on that program exactly one day.  I did buy their shakes and puddings and protein bars;  the only thing I liked were those bars.  160 calories and around 20 carb grams each.  By day two of the program, I figured that if I did the program "their" way...I'd be ingesting 800 calories a day and about 60 carb grams.  I wasn't having that.  Instead, I decided to eat 800 calories worth of "real" food...and keep my daily carb gram intake at between 30-35 grams per day.  At that point, I didn't think about protein grams or fat grams;  all I focused on was 800 calories or close enough to it each day---and 30-35 carb grams each day.

After month "one" of my Mary-Way-Of-Eating program...I lost 20 lbs.  I realized that if I ate anything with flour or sugar in it, that wasn't good.  Too many carbs and calories.  I also found that I didn't need my 20 mg. dose of Prilosec anymore after years (and years!) of acid reflux.  I didn't go to the gym during that month I might add.  I just did my own real life going to work and back, and of course shopping what woman can't get a good walk-out-work-out at the mall just sayin'!  ;-)

After month "two", I lost another 10 lbs.  Eventually, I realized I could substitute some of my favorite "bad" foods with better ones.  Rutabaga instead of potatoes.  Barbequed pork rinds instead of chips.  Sparkling ICE water instead of diet Coke.  Fathead "dough" instead of bread for pizza.  Etc. etc. etc.  Yes of course there were times I "indulged"...but I stuck to the "no flour" rule like a champ.  Ultimately, I found myself eating around 1,000 calories a day and around 40 carb grams.

Now, just over a year later, I have lost 108 lbs.  I went from a size 18-20...to an 8.  I won't lie;  I look awesome.  People can't believe I am 62 years old this year (but I will be!)…..and I feel fabulous.  Is that the end of my story?  Hell no it is not!  Why not?  Because now...since losing the weight...suddenly I have felt the pinch of other people wanting to make themselves feel better---at my expense.

For anyone who has made a significant change in their life (forget about weight...it could be achieving sobriety from drinking and/or drugs, going back to school, getting a "real" full time job, breaking up with an abusive partner, etc. etc.)….change like this can bring out the worst in others.  That's just a fact.

Believe me, I wish it weren't that way...but it is.  We'd all like to think that other people who know us and/or claim to even love us would be and are supportive of whatever positive changes we make.  Sadly, that's not always the case.  Instead of being kind, these folks can be downright mean and nasty because...they can!  Feeling better about ourselves at another's expense is not nice.  It's sh**y to be blunt about it.  And yet we do it so often and so easily, I have to wonder what makes this particular character flaw invisible to those of us who do it!

Well, I don't wonder actually;  I already know.  When we feel the pressure to get our own acts together in whatever capacity----it doesn't feel good.  Whomever has "done" their work of improving themselves may serve as a sore reminder of our own work we have yet to do ourselves...but have not yet started.  Instead of that other person or persons serving as inspiration, they become targets.  Which is, once again, not very nice.

We all know when someone says something that is more offensive than funny.  One of my friends called me Olive Oil the other day.  We laughed because I thanked her for that one!  NEVER and I do mean NEVER have I been called Olive Oil.  Now that was funny!  Yet when another friend basically suggests I am eating disordered "now" because I don't eat bread anymore....I have to wonder how deep is their resentment (towards me)!

In the end, how about if we all just focus on doing our own work while we are here to do it...and make a GOOD habit of checking ourselves before we wreck ourselves with what we say and do?  Not difficult people!  All anybody wants who achieves their goals is to lead and live better quality lives.  What's wrong with that?  Absolutely nothing!  If you can't or won't get your own act together, that's nobody's fault but your own.  Not mine.  Not his.  Not hers.  Grow up.  Do your work.  And be kind.

Until next post....